Heavy Duty Equipment Technician
YVR is a place of connection, bringing together people, places and cargo while ensuring a safe and efficient experience for everyone. Fleet Maintenance plays an integral part in the continued success and future vision of the Vancouver Airport Authority.
As a Heavy Duty Equipment Technician, you will be responsible for the maintenance and repair of mobile/portable equipment. You will perform general diagnostics, mechanical overhaul and maintenance work on a wide variety of specialized and heavy duty equipment, such as fire trucks, winter runway trucks and sweepers, mowers, trucks with diesel and gas engines.
You will join a team of technicians, apprentices and planners that organize, plan and perform maintenance on an inventory of 300 + pieces of unique response and heavy equipment designed and utilized specifically for the airport environment.
Key responsibilities include:
- Maintaining and repairing emergency rescue and operations vehicles and equipment; including 8x8 and 6x6 firetrucks, air stairs, portable pumps and spill trailers
- Maintaining and repairing summer operations vehicles and equipment; including grass cutting, construction and road maintenance equipment
- Maintaining and repairing winter operations vehicles and equipment for snow and ice control
- Maintaining and repairing specialty equipment and tooling
- Planning, scheduling and organizing work area and facility
- Leading activities and sharing knowledge with assigned apprenticeships
Key qualifications include:
- Three years’ recent, related experience, supplemented by the completion of a Red Seal or BC Trade Qualification in Truck or Transport Mechanic (TTM) (formerly Commercial Transport) and/or Heavy Duty Equipment Technician (HDET) (formerly Heavy Duty Mechanic)
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment, as well as independently, with little supervision
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to make safety a top priority
- Valid BC driver’s license (Class 1 preferred, minimum class 3 with air brake endorsement)
The shift schedule is 4/4 primarily dayshift, with a requirement through winter operations for 24/7 operations.
This position is open to both Vancouver Airport Authority employees and external applicants. Previous job performance will be taken into consideration for all internal candidates that apply for this position.
Salary Range : $76,809 to $100,387 per annum, based on 40-hour work week. This is individually tailored to reflect your unique experience, qualifications and internal equity.
At YVR, your work experience goes beyond the paycheck. We support your personal and professional development, well-being, and a thriving work culture with generous vacation days, extensive health benefits, retirement savings matching, wellness programs, community engagement, commuting support, and continuous learning opportunities. Learn more at https://careers.yvr.ca/benefits.
Please note that availability may vary based on employment type and is subject to certain eligibility requirements and potential changes by YVR.Who We Are
YVR is more than just an airport. We connect our beautiful province and all it has to offer to the world. We are all leaders and trailblazers for change and innovation, so no matter the department or team you’re a part of, the work you do matters.
At YVR, we are flexible in everything we do. We will work together to find ways to deliver customer excellence that helps us all thrive.
Whatever your background and wherever you’re from, you belong at YVR. If you have any questions about accessibility or require any assistance applying, please reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet Some Team Members
I love working at YVR primarily because of the people. YVR is constantly changing and striving for excellence. Everyone matters and it is so cool to work with this diverse group who really want to make a difference in how we support our customers and our community.Jocelyn D.Member since 2022
I love my job because my colleagues care about me as a person and appreciate the value I provide to my teams and the workplace. It’s also exciting for me because YVR is always changing and evolving, so I get front row seats in watching how we are constantly navigating and innovating. Every day is different at YVR and it is a constant adventure.Jenny R.Member since 2015
I’m proud that the work I do contributes to a better experience for travellers at YVR. I maintain and repair YVR’s state-of-the-art baggage systems at Canada’s second busiest airport – it’s a fast-paced environment with the latest technology and equipment. Baggage Maintenance Operations is a team sport and I’m honoured to say that I’m part of this team.Dalbir T.Member since 2007
YVR is more than just an airport. We are leaders and trailblazers for change and innovation, at the forefront doing the right thing and doing it well. We have been voted the Best Airport in North America for 12 consecutive years – an honour that’s attributed to the ongoing contributions from the best teams and partners. Join us at YVR to see what this means for you.
YVR continually invests in our people to offer what you and your loved ones need so you can just thrive at work and in your community.
You have no saved jobs