Location: Vancouver, Canada
Job Code: 23-143
YVR is a place of connection, bringing together people, places and cargo while ensuring a safe and efficient experience for everyone. We have permanent, full-time opportunities for Firefighters in the YVR Fire & Rescue Department. The role centers around making a tremendous impact on the safety of both travellers and our community. Every day, you will be collaborating with a team of dedicated individuals equipped with the most advanced vehicles and tools to handle a wide range of challenges related to aircraft emergencies, medical first response, airside inspections, and snow and ice control. This is an opportunity to use your skills and expertise to protect people while growing in your career as a leader in emergency services. You will also benefit from working at one of Canada's busiest airports serving millions of passengers each year. Join now and be part of a world-class team!
Key responsibilities include:
- Providing fire, medical, and hazardous material response to the airport community
- Preventing and ensuring that airport operating areas are safe
- Ensuring standards of emergency personnel preparedness are met, and the public and employees are always safe and secure
- Training to maintain the highest level of service to the airport, ensuring the acquisition and development of skills necessary to fulfil their duty to our customers, community, stakeholders and employees
Key qualifications include:
- Recent, related experience, supplemented by completion of a high school diploma or GED equivalent
- Completion of NFPA 1001 Level II
- Completion of Emergency Medical Assistant First Responder III
- Certificate of fitness, preferably from SCIENCED Athletics, with a V02 Max of at least 45ml/kg/min (when/if requested)
- Successful completion of a firefighter candidate medical assessment with FireHealth Services that meets NFPA 1582 criteria prior to an offer of employment
- Strong work ethic with a high level of initiative and enthusiasm, and an ability to excel in a fast-paced environment
- A team player, capable of working both collaboratively and independently
- A strong concern for the health and safety of self and others, and the ability to work safely and effectively under pressure
- Ability to manage difficult situations effectively, quickly and safely
- Ability to travel outside of Canada for extended periods for training purposes
- Class 3 BC Driver’s License with Air Brake Endorsement along with a driver’s abstract
- Ongoing requirements for maintaining fitness level; maintaining all security clearances, passes and certifications; clear criminal records check; good attendance record; and other necessary requirements
- Adhering to our residency requirements as a condition of employment
- Shift work is required as the YVR Fire and Rescue Department operates on a 24-hour basis.
If you have any questions, please contact us at F&R_careers@yvr.ca.
Who We Are
YVR is more than just an airport. We connect our beautiful province and all it has to offer to the world. We are all leaders and trailblazers for change and innovation, so no matter the department or team you’re a part of, the work you do matters.
At YVR, we are flexible in everything we do. We will work together to find ways to deliver customer excellence that helps us all thrive. We strive to provide an environment that reflects the diversity of our communities, allowing us to better serve them.
Whatever your background and wherever you’re from, you belong at YVR. We want to make sure you truly belong and help you reach your full potential. If you have any questions about accessibility or require any assistance applying, please reach out to email@example.com.
Join us on this journey as we continue to transform our airport to better serve our communities.
Please download the 2023 Fire & Rescue Hiring Guide to learn more about the hiring process. If you have any questions, please contact us at F&R_careers@yvr.ca.