Technical Specialist, Permits
YVR is a place of connection, bringing together people, places and cargo while ensuring a safe and efficient experience for everyone.
Are you highly organized and have a keen eye for details?
We have a permanent, full-time opportunity for a Technical Specialist - Permits in the Engineering Services Department. Reporting to the Manager, Engineering Services, the successful candidate will be responsible for directing and controlling the Facility Permit Program for all new construction, facility alterations, and/or civil work in accordance with Airport Authority construction bylaws, development rules, and applicable codes and standards.
Key responsibilities include:
- Administering the Engineering Services permitting process and coordinate the Facility Permitting Review Program.
- Reviewing permit applications to determine completeness and required involvement by the Airport Authority Departments and outside bodies for permit approval.
- Providing technical support to project managers through retrieval of past permit documentation, and detailing project design requirements, and permit submission requirements
- Monitoring project construction by ensuring designers, engineers, architects, project managers and Airport Authority independent professionals inspect project construction at specific intervals
- Ensuring safety reviews are done for occupancy
- Ensuring all project certification is complete prior to project close out
Key qualifications include:
- Five years of recent, related experience supplemented by a two or three year technical or community college certificate or diploma relevant to construction; or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- AScT (Applied Science Technologist) designation or meet the qualifications for obtaining such designation
- Completion of BCIT BC Building Code part 3, or equivalent
- BOABC member or meet the qualifications for membership
- Experience in electrical and/or mechanical trades is an asset
- Demonstrated ability to read and understand architectural and engineering design drawings and reports
- Thorough knowledge of engineering practices, terminology and professional association membership responsibilities
- Advanced computer knowledge, especially in relation to data entry into a document management system and GIS; comprehensive knowledge of MS Outlook
- Proven time management skills with the ability to work under pressure
- Thorough understanding of Transport Canada/Nav Canada regulations and practices associated with construction at airports is an asset
This position is open to both Vancouver Airport Authority employees and external applicants. Previous job performance will be taken into consideration for all internal candidates that apply for this position.
As part of our recruitment process, short-listed candidates may be required to participate in an assessment process.
Salary Range : $80,932 to $105,773 per annum, based on 37.5-hour work week. This is individually tailored to reflect your unique experience, qualifications and internal equity.
At YVR, your work experience goes beyond the paycheck. We support your personal and professional development, well-being, and a thriving work culture with generous vacation days, extensive health benefits, retirement savings matching, wellness programs, community engagement, commuting support, and continuous learning opportunities. Learn more at https://careers.yvr.ca/benefits.
Please note that availability may vary based on employment type and is subject to certain eligibility requirements and potential changes by YVR.Who We Are
YVR is more than just an airport. We connect our beautiful province and all it has to offer to the world. We are all leaders and trailblazers for change and innovation, so no matter the department or team you’re a part of, the work you do matters.
At YVR, we are flexible in everything we do. We will work together to find ways to deliver customer excellence that helps us all thrive.
Whatever your background and wherever you’re from, you belong at YVR. If you have any questions about accessibility or require any assistance applying, please reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet Some Team Members
I love working at YVR primarily because of the people. YVR is constantly changing and striving for excellence. Everyone matters and it is so cool to work with this diverse group who really want to make a difference in how we support our customers and our community.Jocelyn D.Member since 2022
I love my job because my colleagues care about me as a person and appreciate the value I provide to my teams and the workplace. It’s also exciting for me because YVR is always changing and evolving, so I get front row seats in watching how we are constantly navigating and innovating. Every day is different at YVR and it is a constant adventure.Jenny R.Member since 2015
I’m proud that the work I do contributes to a better experience for travellers at YVR. I maintain and repair YVR’s state-of-the-art baggage systems at Canada’s second busiest airport – it’s a fast-paced environment with the latest technology and equipment. Baggage Maintenance Operations is a team sport and I’m honoured to say that I’m part of this team.Dalbir T.Member since 2007
YVR is more than just an airport. We are leaders and trailblazers for change and innovation, at the forefront doing the right thing and doing it well. We have been voted the Best Airport in North America for 12 consecutive years – an honour that’s attributed to the ongoing contributions from the best teams and partners. Join us at YVR to see what this means for you.
YVR continually invests in our people to offer what you and your loved ones need so you can just thrive at work and in your community.
You have no saved jobs