Baggage Systems Technician – Mechanical
YVR is a place of connection, bringing together people, places and cargo while ensuring a safe and efficient experience for everyone. Baggage Operations is an integral part of providing the safe, reliable, and predictable delivery of every passenger’s bag, every time.
As a Baggage Systems Technician – Mechanical, you will repair, maintain, and provide condition assessment for all mechanical assets utilized in the Airport Authority’s baggage system.
Key responsibilities include:
- Respond to all trouble calls and diagnose, repair, and return baggage system to serviceability with minimum downtime
- Work with planning and/or controls teams to carry out complex or time intensive repairs when they cannot be completed as a trouble call
- Devise, recommend and implement workarounds to baggage delivery within the system when there is downtime due to corrective maintenance
- Carry out technical work, as prescribed in job plans, and where appropriate or necessary, advise on and update plans
- Inspect, assess, and report on the mechanical and electrical condition of infrastructure
Key qualifications include:
- At least one year of experience in environments with mechanical and electrical equipment, supplemented by the completion of four years of technical college and an Industrial Mechanic/Millwright red seal/TQ.
- Excellent communication skills including report writing.
- Ability to work well in a team environment, as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- Proven analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret complex baggage layouts and drawing schematics.
- A class 5 driver’s license.
Onsite shift work is required as this role supports the operation on a 24-hour basis. These are rotational 12-hour shifts on a 4-on, 4-off cycle.
This position is open to both Vancouver Airport Authority employees and external applicants. Previous job performance will be taken into consideration for all internal candidates that apply for this position.
As part of our recruitment process, short-listed candidates may be required to participate in an assessment process.
Salary Range : $76,809 to $100,387 per annum, based on 40-hour work week. This is individually tailored to reflect your unique experience, qualifications, and internal equity.
At YVR, your work experience goes beyond the paycheck. We support your personal and professional development, well-being, and a thriving work culture with generous vacation days, extensive health benefits, retirement savings matching, wellness programs, community engagement, commuting support, and continuous learning opportunities. Learn more at https://careers.yvr.ca/benefits.
Please note that availability may vary based on employment type and is subject to certain eligibility requirements and potential changes by YVR.Who We Are
YVR is more than just an airport. We connect our beautiful province and all it has to offer to the world. We are all leaders and trailblazers for change and innovation, so no matter the department or team you’re a part of, the work you do matters.
At YVR, we are flexible in everything we do. We will work together to find ways to deliver customer excellence that helps us all thrive.
Whatever your background and wherever you’re from, you belong at YVR. If you have any questions about accessibility or require any assistance applying, please reach out at email@example.com.
Meet Some Team Members
I love working at YVR primarily because of the people. YVR is constantly changing and striving for excellence. Everyone matters and it is so cool to work with this diverse group who really want to make a difference in how we support our customers and our community.Jocelyn D.Member since 2022
I love my job because my colleagues care about me as a person and appreciate the value I provide to my teams and the workplace. It’s also exciting for me because YVR is always changing and evolving, so I get front row seats in watching how we are constantly navigating and innovating. Every day is different at YVR and it is a constant adventure.Jenny R.Member since 2015
I’m proud that the work I do contributes to a better experience for travellers at YVR. I maintain and repair YVR’s state-of-the-art baggage systems at Canada’s second busiest airport – it’s a fast-paced environment with the latest technology and equipment. Baggage Maintenance Operations is a team sport and I’m honoured to say that I’m part of this team.Dalbir T.Member since 2007
YVR is more than just an airport. We are leaders and trailblazers for change and innovation, at the forefront doing the right thing and doing it well. We have been voted the Best Airport in North America for 12 consecutive years – an honour that’s attributed to the ongoing contributions from the best teams and partners. Join us at YVR to see what this means for you.
YVR continually invests in our people to offer what you and your loved ones need so you can just thrive at work and in your community.
You have no saved jobs